Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Meet the Teacher



We had Meet Your Teacher this afternoon at school.  All 17 of my new Smarties and their families showed up, some excited, some nervous, and many shy.  (Side note: can we just talk about how excited I am to only have 17 students?  Last year I started with 23.  This is going to be a nice change!)

Some students (and families) didn't believe I was their teacher- they thought I looked too young!  The struggle is real when you're 24 and look 16.

Hallway bulletin board- considering leaving it up all year and attaching smaller suitcases to clothespins to hang student work throughout the year!


Best moment of the day? 
When a little boy, whom I hadn't even met yet, walked in and came straight over to give me a huge hug!

Or maybe the best moment was when a little girl whom I hadn't even met yet (are you noticing a theme here?), gave me a beautiful picture she'd colored before coming to Meet the Teacher.

Or it could have been that so many of my students from the past 2 years went out of their way to come in and share a smile and a hug.


Loved this idea-- magnetic letters inside a flower jar!
I'm positive this will be the best year yet.  My first year was so rough I wasn't sure teaching was the right job for me.  My second year was significantly better, and I'm genuinely excited and ready for this year to begin.  I can't wait to see what kinds of gains my students will make in all areas of their lives, not just academically!
A hallway bulletin board created by one of my teammates!  So creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment